Friday, September 26, 2014

Austin's arm

Right at dinner time I heard Austin crying outside.  All the kids were over at the neighbors playing on their swing set.  I went out to see what happened, Savannah had her arm around him and was walking him across our backyard and told me he fell off the monkey bars and landed on his arm.
I brought him in and all he wanted to do was lay on the chair and not let anyone touch it.  It was a little swollen and he told me when I pushed on it it hurt.  Jason looked and it had him do a few things which he couldn't do really well or would say he couldn't do them.  We sat down to eat but Austin didn't want to eat he just wanted to lay on the chair with his ice pack.  After we ate I decided to take him to the Urgent Care just to get it x-rayed since tomorrow is a full schedule with soccer games all day. 
We were gone there about an hour and the results were not good, he did break his arm...his right arm.  They put him in a hard wrap and sling until Monday, and told him no more soccer.  That almost broke my heart.  He loves soccer and has only played 2 games.  I only have one picture of him on his 1st game.  We will see what the Ortho doctor says on Monday but I think he could play at least the last game if not the last two games.  I mean come on it's indoor with preschool and kindergarteners but we will see.
He started crying too but I don't think it was because of soccer...not sure that part has sunk in yet.  He was crying because the wrap was hardening and he couldn't bend his arm and then the sling was bothering his neck.  I felt so bad for him he was trying to be so brave but couldn't hold it in any longer, he hid behind my leg and started to cry.  They doctor was trying to see the sling to make sure it was working properly but he was too embarrassed he was crying that he wouldn't let go of my leg and show his face.  I told the doctor he was embarrassed he understood and let us go.
When we got home everyone was waiting on the couch for him.  He ran straight up stairs and started to cry.  Again I wanted to cry for him.  Finally I got him to show his sisters and he was feeling a little better.  I gave him some ibuprofen and he was good until he tried eating and started crying because he couldn't use both hands.  It is going to be a learned process since he still doesn't quite understand why he has to have this sling and cast and can't move his arm so it will heal properly.  That is one reason we have to go to an Ortho because the doctor wasn't sure about it affecting the joint.  We will see Monday when we go in for his appointment.  Which we don't have yet they will call me later with that information.
Hopefully he sleeps good tonight. 


Update:  Saturday, September 27th.  Austin woke up and said he arm hurt so I gave him some more ibuprofen.  We skipped his soccer game but watched the girls games.  And never again did he say it hurt again.  That night we took off the splint and gave him a bath.  It felt so good to take that off he just let the water run over it.



 

 Update:  Tuesday, September 30th.  They finally got us in this morning at Iowa Ortho, we only waited an hour and a half in the waiting room before they got to us.  After waiting all that time the doctor came in and saw nothing but two straight lines on two of the x-rays, went out and looked at them on the big screen and came back and said "nothing in nature is perfectly straight."  The then looked at Austin arm had him give him the hardest high five with his good arm and then his bad, looked at me and said, "I don't think it is broken, he is fine. Just use the sling for the next week and not recess or PE this week.  But call me if it gets worse."  And that was it.  So I guess it's not broken.

1 comment:

Kierstin said...

Dang monkey bars! Thats how Mia broke her arm when she was 4! I'm sorry that happened... That is so crappy :( I hope it heals quickly! Xo