Tuesday, March 4, 2014

cold cold weather



It has been a very very very cold winter.  The temperatures have been so cold the kids have had to have inside recess sometimes all week.  It is very rare when they get to go outside which means the temperature outside feels like 0 or below.  Then when they get home it is way too cold to go outside and play so they have to stay inside.  On the weekends we stay inside.  Sunday, March 2nd when we went to church the temperature was -9 but felt like -32 because of the wind chill.  We are so ready for spring! 

But just like every winter it makes me appreciate the pioneers that went though Iowa, Nebraska and Wyoming during the winter and the extreme sacrifice they made to escape persecution because of their religion.  I can’t even imagine what it was like out there in the snow and wind.  It is horrible for us and we have warm coats, gloves, hat and boots.  We have a warm home and cars to get us places but for them to be out there in these conditions, I truly think it is a miracle that any of them survived.  Jason and I often say to one another there is no way anyone could survive being outside for very long let alone all night.

We have been truly grateful for our home and cars this season and have been truly thanking the Lord in our prayers each night for these things.  We are indeed blessed and are indeed grateful for the pioneer who sacrificed so much for us.  I’m sure the weather was only a tiny bit of their trials but I know I am more appreciative to them because I have lived here and felt a little bit of what they must have felt.

No comments: