Wednesday, April 25, 2012

teaching moment

I lost it with my kids tonight...now this is by far not the first time, but as I was yelling this time, words just started coming out of my mouth and they were words that were teaching my kids. For a while now I have been praying to be a better mom and it is getting better (most days). I'm way far from perfect and I don't expect to be because I'm human, I just want to be a little better every day. So tonight when these words started coming I feel that it was a teaching moment not only for my kids but for myself and an answer to my prayers...now only if the lesson taught tonight is applied and if not at least it gives me a bases for something to work from and then we can have family night lessons about it until it is drilled into their hearts.

Now for those of you who are wondering what the lesson is, well, it's probably something you have loving taught your children already but just so I remember it I am going to write it down. We don't do things around our house because we want a sticker, because we want to go to the park, because we want a treat, etc, etc, etc, etc, we do things because we are a family, we live in this house, we eat the food, we have a bed, etc, etc, etc, etc. We do things because we want to help each other, we do things because it makes us feel good inside. We do things because we want to make others happy, which then makes us happy!

I went on and on and on but that is the basic of it. I also went as far and to say how I do things and don't expect things in return I just do them because I care and love them. Then I almost started to cry because sweet Madi and Olivia started to say, "mom, you are the best mom, we love you." Then I almost started to laugh because then went on to say, "You are such a good cleaner." (I held it all in though because I was in teaching mode)

Now I must say I understand they are just kids and they are really good kids (I know there are worse kids out there by far),  I just think sometimes I hold them to a higher standard because I know they know better and I know they can do better. I'm so lucky to be their mother and for a husband that supports me in my dream to stay at home and raise our children, what a wonderful blessing it is! (Maybe next time I will be able to have the teaching lesson without the yelling, even though most the time they don't listen unless I'm yelling......maybe they are deaf. ?  no not really we already had Olivia tested :) )

5 comments:

Melbell said...

Love this post! This is a life long lesson..ha ha...we still have 'this' talk :D

Debbi said...

This is the best post! I need to teach this lesson to my kids too, they are always complaining about everything. I should just print this put and read it to them! You are a great mom!!

Kierstin said...

What?? Alli, YOU lost your temper? I don't believe it. I have NEVER lost it with my kids, so I have no idea what you mean ;). You are amazing, Al. Seriously. Love u

Andrea said...

Just the other day I sent a text to Brandt saying how I hold our kids to a higher standard so it is so frusterating to me when they act out or are naughty. I think it's good we expect the best out of them. It's gotta sink in sometime, right? One day they will listen and do what they're supposed to. That's what I keep telling myself. One day...

Kristie said...

Well um I need to get Sierra tested or maybe it's just the 3rd kid syndrome!
You're a good mom Ali!