Saturday, June 7, 2014

Olivia's accident

Wednesday June 4th we were putting things on bed because we were getting our carpets cleaned.  Olivia was helping with her room and was on her bunk bed while I handed things up to her.  I was putting things on Austin's bed and cleaning up the room while she waited on the top bunk.  She was sitting at the top of her ladder and either decided to come down or her foot lost it's grip and skipped off the step, my back was turned to her but this is the only explaining to what happened that I can think of, and as that happened her foot went though the step and her body fell straight forward.  When I heard the scream I turned around and saw her hanging by her leg upside down.  I picked her up and immediately her cheek was swollen and it had a line where her cheek hit the step.
We put ice on it after it happened and for a few days but she never really complained of it hurting.  When Jason got home the first night he thought it might be broken but she wasn't flinching and crying when he pushed on it so we just let it go.
 
She was very embarrassed to show people, she even had a hard time showing her sisters and brother after it happened, but I had a talk with her and told her no one will make fun of her they are just curious to what happened.  I asked her if she would make fun of someone if they had that on her face and she said no and I told her no one is going to make fun of her.  We decided it would be best just show people, tell them what happened and then they wouldn't ask any more.  So Friday when we went to playgroup we showed all the moms and kids at once and then she was fine and went to play but before I told people she would cover it with her hands and hide behind me.  Sunday I even had to go with her and tell her Primary teacher and then she was just fine. 
 
Thursday after it happened there was more bruising 

Today Saturday: you can tell by this picture that the one side of her smile wouldn't go up.
 
Every morning she comes in my room with a swollen eye that she can barely open in the morning but then as the day goes on it slowing opens a goes back to as normal as possible.
 
Update: it is now June 18th, two weeks later, she still has a little bruise mark on her cheek and if you feel it there is still a hard lump but her smile is finally pretty much back to normal.

No comments: